Monday, April 14, 2008

Boobalicious Tank from Big Girl Knits, or, Publish Errata, Dammit!

So I've been slogging along knitting the Boobalicious Tank from Big Girl Knits. I really like it. I think it will look great. BUT.....WTF???? Errors. ERRORS!! I had checked thru Ravelry, and was prepared, but this is ridiculous! I went to the publisher's page for Errata; the "fix" was exactly the same as the printed instructions, which even I could tell were not correct. THEN I found a really big error when it came to knitting the 2 straps...omitted 20 rows from 1 side! That would just look silly!

2 months after I emailed the publisher about how lame their errata page was, I got a response asking me for the corrections I felt were needed. Well, 2 pages later, the dude tells me it's a little too involved for him, and he'll send it to the authors. Fine.

This past weekend, I managed to nearly finish the back, and as I was knitting, panic hit. I checked the front; yep, I had totally screwed the straps! Had to rip out the strap, because when I had tried to correct the authors mistake, I made my own and forgot to swap the sides the decrease would occur on. URRGGHH!! But hey, that's what knitting is about, right, learning from our mistakes, becoming more proficient so I can actually figure out what to do to fix things. I actually feel very sorry for anyone like me, anyone who can knit from the pattern, but doesn't really have enough experience to recognize mistakes right away.

Can you believe it, I actually am interested in buying the second book that's coming out? Glutton for punishment, I guess!

No comments: